The second monument to repressed and shot Poles has already disappeared from the Levashovsky Memorial Cemetery. This was reported by the “Memorial” society.
The first monument – a granite cross – was dismantled in July of this year. On October 30, on the day of remembrance of the victims of political repressions, the activists of “Memorial” installed a new iron sculpture in the same place, but it lasted only a day.
“Memorial” suspects that the memorial sign was torn down by activists of the so-called “Volunteer Company” – a pro-Kremlin movement that advocates “patriotic education of youth.” Earlier, his representatives had already prevented “Memorial” from laying flowers at monuments to victims of repression. In particular, when on August 20 the members of “Memorial” came to the Levashov cemetery to honor the memory of those shot there, activists met them with anti-Polish posters.
The first monument to Polish victims of Stalin’s terror disappeared in July. The management of the cemetery could not clearly answer what happened to him. Later, the administration of St. Petersburg stated that the monument was allegedly sent for restoration, but they could not specify where exactly and when it would return to its place.
- In the 1930s and 1950s, the Levashov wasteland was a shooting range of the NKVD, where about 45,000 victims of Stalin’s repressions of various nationalities were buried.
- In the course of the so-called Polish operation of the NKVD in 1937-38, about 140 thousand people were arrested, mainly Poles living in the USSR, and 110 thousand of them were shot.