A 37-year-old woman died in Lviv Oblast due to mushroom poisoning

A 37-year-old woman died in Lviv Oblast due to mushroom poisoning

In Lviv Oblast, a 37-year-old resident of Chervonohrad Oblast died as a result of mushroom poisoning.

The woman probably used pale toadstool, reports the Lviv Regional Center for Disease Control and Prevention of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine.

As a 37-year-old resident said during the application for medical assistance, mushrooms were collected in the forest belt of the Chervonograd district. According to her, she used fried umbrellas, but doctors assume that it could have been a pale toadstool.

Symptoms of poisoning appeared on the day of mushroom consumption: nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, general weakness.

Photo: Stokaji/Depositphotos

On the second day, the woman was taken by “ambulance” to the Lviv Regional Infectious Disease Hospital.

On the third day of her stay in the hospital, the patient was transferred to the department of anesthesiology and intensive care with a diagnosis of “mushroom poisoning“, said Iryna Kulish, head of the monitoring and response to hazards department of the Lviv Regional Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

The patient died on the 7th day of hospital stay.

This is the fourth death after mushroom consumption in Lviv Oblast this year.

Symptoms of mushroom poisoning

Doctors emphasize that the symptoms of poisoning can appear from 30 minutes to several days after consumption, depending on the type of mushrooms.

It can be: nausea, vomiting, sharp pain in the stomach, diarrhea, dizziness, increased body temperature, shortness of breath, convulsions, impaired blood circulation and cooling of the extremities, delirium, hallucinations.

If you have these symptoms, call 103 immediately!

While you are waiting for the “ambulance”, you need to drink several glasses of “room temperature” water.

There is no need to throw away the remains of mushrooms – the analysis will help doctors to quickly determine the type of poison that entered the body.

How not to get poisoned by mushrooms?

  • Try to avoid the consumption of wild mushrooms, do not buy mushrooms at spontaneous markets.
  • Collect only mushrooms you are familiar with. At home, check them again carefully – all questionable ones should be thrown away.
  • Do not take too young or old mushrooms – they are easily confused with poisonous ones.
  • Do not collect mushrooms near highways, industrial enterprises, polluted areas, because they “absorb” a wide range of poisonous substances, including heavy metals.
  • Do not collect mushrooms in dry weather: at this time, the mushroom dries up, giving up water and increasing the concentration of toxins.
  • Do not taste raw mushrooms.
  • Cook mushrooms within the first day after harvesting.
  • Boil them at least three times, each time in fresh salted water for at least half an hour.

Read also: “In Dnipropetrovsk region, a teenager was poisoned by fly agaric mushrooms that he bought on the Internet”

Original Source Link