Pregnant patients staying abroad can receive a medical opinion on temporary incapacity for work due to going on maternity leave without a personal examination by a doctor.
According to the Ministry of Health, doctors can form medical conclusions for such patients on the basis of foreign medical documents certifying the fact of a woman’s pregnancy or childbirth.
A medical opinion on temporary incapacity for work (MITN) in the case of pregnancy and childbirth can be issued both by the family doctor with whom the patient made a declaration, and by any other doctor who has the right to issue a medical opinion in this category.
If the birth has already taken place, the Ukrainian doctor, on the basis of foreign medical documents that confirm this, must form a medical opinion about temporary incapacity for work. In this case, the sick leave will start from the date of delivery.
If a woman abroad had a complicated childbirth or gave birth to several children, the doctor must issue a medical opinion to the woman in labor for 140 calendar days, not 126.
Step-by-step algorithm of actions for pregnant Ukrainian women who are abroad:
- you should consult a doctor in the country of residence. At the time of onset or after the 30th week of pregnancy, it is necessary to obtain a foreign medical document, which indicates the fact and term of pregnancy;
- it is recommended to translate the foreign medical document into Ukrainian and notarize the translations;
- to inform the family or other doctor, to whom the patient has given the right to view medical information in the electronic health care system, about the need to form a medical opinion on temporary incapacity;
- transfer foreign medical documents and their translation to the doctor in a manner agreed with him;
- verify whether the doctor was able to successfully form a medical opinion;
- in the personal office of the Pension Fund of Ukraine to check the success of the created electronic sick leave;
- inform the employer about e-hospital and wait for social benefits.
We will remind you that we previously wrote that pregnant women can start maternity leave after the 30th week of pregnancy.
Read also: Scientists explain why modern women have more frequent periods than previous generations