During 10 months of 2023, the language ombudsman received 3,240 complaints regarding violations of language legislation. Almost half of them (1,614) relate to the service sector.
This was reported by the Commissioner for the Protection of the State Language, Taras Kremin.
The largest number of appeals were received in Kyiv (1,167), Kharkiv (473), Odesa (416), Dnipropetrovsk (265), Kyiv (134), Zaporizhia (54), Mykolaiv (48), Lviv (48), and Poltava (47) regions.
|Statistics of violations of the language law during 10 months of 2023. Commissioner for the protection of the state language/Facebook|
Most often, complaints about violations of language legislation related to:
- lack of a Ukrainian version of the sites of online stores and websites – 882;
- violations during service – 536;
- outdoor advertising and signs – 480.
- employees of preschool, general secondary and higher education institutions – 296;
- provision of information about goods and services (menus, price tags, packaging, etc.) – 196;
- authorities – 151;
- media – 144;
- spheres of health care – 137;
- spheres of culture – 97;
- communal and state-owned institutions – 56.
Another 265 appeals related to other spheres of public life.
According to Taras Kremin, the violators were imposed sanctions provided for by the Code of Ukraine on Administrative Offenses.
It will be recalled that earlier the language ombudsman reported that about 5% of mass media sites do not have a Ukrainian version.